Believe it or not there are good things about the offseason in a gardening business. Gardens4u is no exception. All season, when I am incredibly busy, I make lists of the things I will get done in the offseason. Here are a few of the best things…
- I don’t set the alarm clock. When my husband rolls out of bed at 545am, he no longer asks me what time I want to get up so he can reset the clock for me. I get up when I wake up; pure luxury!
- my house gets a great cleaning. Last winter I went through each and every closet in the house, decluttering and purging,a chore that was long overdue. The kitchen and bathrooms cupboards, garage, laundry room and file cabinet are on the hit list this year. The organizations that pick up used clothing and household items love me this time of year. I may even get adventurous and open a Kijijii (Canadian version of Ebay) account to sell some of the big things. That is if I can convince my husband to part with them.
- I spend more time reading books. There are lots of interesting choices on my to read list this year, but I would love to hear your suggestions!
- I spend lots of time updating my website. Now, I know that doesn’t sound too exciting, but I love looking at the pictures I took this past season, especially the ones of gardens I planted in earlier seasons. It’s almost like watching the gardens grow! Be sure to check out the changes at GARDENS4U and send me your comments and suggestions.
- I go out to lunch or coffee with friends that I have not seen much of through the gardening season. Give me a shout if you are in the neighbourhood! I plan to get back to my hometown sometime soon too to reconnect with some childhood friends.
- I may even get to the scrapbooks I have been meaning to assemble. Years ago I sorted “stuff” from my three sons’ childhoods into separate bins. You know, stuff that mothers keep, like school and sports achievements, mementos, pictures etc. It was a start, but the bins are still full and the scrapbooks empty. The plan was to give the boys each a scrapbook on their 18th birthday. Well, my eldest son is about to turn 26. Time does fly doesn’t it?
- I dream about spring while looking through my numerous garden books and magazines.
- I hope to transfer all my old homemade VHS movies onto CDs. I bought a device to do so, just have to figure out how it works.
- I can write more often. My best blog posts have been written in the winter months and I even published a book two winters ago. I have an idea for a new book, but that project needs a lot of work, that may take a few offseasons.
Well, if I am going to get through this list, I had better get off the computer and get started! Don’t worry Gardens4u fans, you can take the girl out of the garden, but you can’t take the garden out of the girl. This list is only to keep me from losing my mind while my gardens are covered in snow.
please be sure to visit my slightly more humorous blog YOUR DAILY CHUCKLE It is guaranteed to make you LOL.