The cottage project that grew and grew…

When we discovered that our water pipe running from the cottage to the lake had frozen this past winter, we decided to dig it up, replace portions and reroute the rest so that it would be buried deeper and under snow cover for future winters.  This project turned out to be an ongoing adventure, snowballing into rebuilding the patio and deck, which then lead to considering replacing doors and windows, which will have to wait.

This first picture shows the soil that was displaced attempting to move the water pipe…

3
digging up the old pipe

 

Next up was digging up the existing patio and expanding the width. length and depth so it is more comfortable…

 

Then came removing the old deck…

and discovering the damage caused by carpenter ants…

 

then replacing the old, chewed boards, footings, and joists with new ones…

adding a waterproofing system to keep the patio dry…

adding the floorboards…

then the posts and railings…

 

All under the watchful eye of several supervisors…

 

final results: an upper deck for viewing and sunbathing…

20150816_115338

 

….and a lower, covered patio, perfect for storm watching, reading or working in the shade…

 

Unfortunately, our cottage project has been put on the back burner because of a family issue.  My father-in-law fell and broke his hip in June this past summer and the ensuing drama has had us very busy.  The side railings of the deck still have to be installed, including the following hummingbird fence insert for a privacy screen:446889_400x0

Stay tuned for a spring update on our cottage project…

7 thoughts on “The cottage project that grew and grew…

  1. Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Hope he’s recovering.

    and I wish I knew about your project. I love digging trenches – I would have come out with a shovel… 🙂

  2. I am sorry to hear about your father-in-law, and hope he recovers well. It is a massive undertaking, renovating as you are! It already looks amazing!

Leave a Reply